CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Interactive Lesson

Last week I shared that the regional Autism team was coming out to video tape a lesson last Friday. I was super nervous and after our mess of a "dress rehearsal" on Thursday I really didn't think we could pull it off. But I am very, very proud to announce that my kids were AWESOME! It was one of those rare, magical moments in the MD classroom where all of the kids are engaged, they are all "getting it", and everyone is having fun (even me!).

We did one of my favorite lessons ever using Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I used a recycled parmesean cheese container as the "caterpillar" and the kids took turns "feeding" the caterpillar as we read the story. I got this wonderful idea a few years ago from the amazing Making Learning Fun website which every early childhood teacher MUST bookmark.

Here is the link to the lesson materials: Parmesan Cheese Container Story Teller


During the lesson, I also use reading sentence boards which I use for every thematic story we read throughout the year. They are awesome for sentence building and helping students recalling vocabulary (especially for my visual learners).

**Reading Board Link Coming Soon**


Here is the example of our reading lesson and how AWESOME my kiddos are: The Very Hungry Caterpillar Interactive Lesson

2 comments:

vicky1970 said...

Hi Allison - I just love the Hungry Caterpillar. Cute blog, I just found you and am your newest follower. :o)
Vicky
Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

Sam said...

May the heavens bless your gentle soul, Allison! :) You made those kids really happy. Anyway, The Very Hungry Caterpillar Interactive Lesson sounds a lot of fun. It’s entertaining and very educational. Somehow, you have helped those children to positively reach for their dreams. ;)

Regards,
Sam Jephson