CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Take a Break Tuesday-- T-Shirt Frames

When I was in college I studied abroad in Italy for a summer. It was amazing!!! And very expensive! My friends and I all thought we found an awesome deal when we found street vendors selling cute T-shirts for 5 Euro. Little did we know that as soon as we washed our cute T's they would shrink to be toddler size. Eeek!

I held on to my T-shirts for several years. I really didn't want to just toss them because they were some of the few souvenirs that I had from my trip. I really wanted to find a way to preserve them even though I would never use them again.

I had heard about T-shirt frames but I needed 6 of them and they were expensive! So I decided to improvise! Here is what I did:


1. I went to Michael's and just found some basic black frames in a few different sizes. 
2. Then, I used the cardboard from the frames (if they came with a cardboard insert) or I used some old moving boxes and I make cardboard inserts to fit each frame. 
3. Next, my mom helped me stretch and staple the shirt to the cardboard insert (we wrapped the material around to the back and stapled from the back so the staples wouldn't show). 
4. For the bigger frames, we were able to shove the rest of the fabric into the frame back and fasten it on. For the smaller frames, we had to cut the back of the shirt off. Honestly, from the back of the frames it is not a pretty sight so it is a good thing you can't see them!
5. Finally, we hung the frames. I loved the end result and it's a great conversation starter whenever people come to visit!




1 comment:

Sarah said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! How creative you are!! :)