CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Take a Break Tuesday-- Pressed Ham and Pear Sandwiches

One of my favorite magazines is Martha Stewart's Everyday Food. Early this summer I went through all of the Everyday Food magazines I had and pulled out any recipes my boyfriend and I wanted to try. Since I have subscribed to EDF for 4 years this was quite a task! 

The first recipe we tried were these awesome Pressed Pear and Ham Sandwiches. It may not look like anything special in my picture (mostly because I was too busy chowing down and I forgot to take a picture as soon as we finished making them) but they were pretty easy to make and so yummy! The only thing I wish I would have done differently was slice the pears a bit thinner. 


my pic



Ingredients:
8 slices rustic bread (1/2 inch thick)
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, very thinly sliced
4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
2 cups baby arugula
1 pear, such as Anjou or Bosc, cored and thinly sliced
Ground pepper

Directions:
1. Brush one side of each bread slice with oil; spread mustard on other side. Layer half the cheese on mustard side of 4 bread slices and top with ham, arugula, pear, a sprinkle of pepper, and remaining cheese. Sandwich with remaining bread slices, mustard side down.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium. Working in batches if necessary, place sandwiches in skillet and weight with another skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook sandwiches, pressing down firmly with skillet, until bread is golden and cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side, flipping once. Serve warm.


Martha's pic

2 comments:

Mrs. Wheeler said...

Looks amazing!!!!!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. I'm sad that we didn't get together this summer. =(

Karlie said...

THESE ARE SOOO GOOD! If you can find fig jam to put on, that is great too! I've tried these sandwiches with turkey, ham, and munster cheese as well. Yum:)


We are ALL Special!