Sign up for SpEd Spot tips, tricks, and FREEBIES straight to your inbox!

    Friday, October 19, 2012

    Apple Thematic Unit and Art Activities

    Every fall we do a unit on apples. There are so many awesome apple activities and it is such an easy topic to integrate across subject areas. This year we tried two new art activities that incorporated art projects to accompany our apples unit. The first project we did was stained glass apple art using contact paper and tissue paper squares. 

    I loved this activity because it was easily accessible for my student who struggles with fine motor control. I just had to hand him the tissue paper and point to where he should place it and then he would stick it to the contact paper. Typically if we do cutting or gluing activities we have to work hand-over-hand so it was great to have an activity that promoted his independence.
    Putting the tissue paper on all by himself!

    The table easel helps him see his art.

    Our finished stained glass apples

    I got the idea for another fun art activity through Pinterest. We did apple rolling painting and the kids LOVED it! We used it as a language-building and direction-following activity. The kids each took a turn making their painting but their classmates gave them directions on which color to use and how to tilt the box. It was fun and since we used a box it was fairly mess-free (my hands were the only messy ones from taking the paint-covered apples in and out of the box). 
    Getting started

    Photo
    Using Proloquo2Go to tell a friend which color apple to paint with next

    Photo
    Telling a friend which way to tip the box

    Tipping the box to make the apple roll

    More tipping and rolling!

    Looking good so far!

    A finished creation!


    To accompany these fun apple art projects, I have put together 13 of my favorite apple activities in my Apples Thematic Unit. Click on the image below to check it out on my TPT store.




    2 comments:

    Breezy Brie said...

    What a cool way to paint! I love seeing that you have students who use iPads/Prologue2Go in your class too! Right now our department has about 6 and we are looking to get one for each student which makes me giddy.

    I'm a new follower of yours from We Are All Special! :) Looking forward to getting to know you. I have also added your button to my blog because I can tell your site is awesome for special ed!

    Brie @ Breezy Special Ed

    Anonymous said...

    I have done the roll-in-a-box painting with balls and marbles before - I love the apple version! Great for fall!

    Kara
    Spedventures