CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Match-Select-Say Reteaching Procedures FREEBIE

In Monday's post about Teaching Numeration to Students with Moderate-Intensive Needs, I shared a very specific procedure that I use when introducing new concepts to my students that I adapted from the book Teaching Reading to Children with Downs Syndrome by Patricia Logan Oelwein.

I refer to this method of teaching as the Match-Select (Receptive ID)-Say (Expressive ID) procedure and I have found it to be extremely useful for the neediest of my students. Additionally, the procedure can be modified to teach a variety of concepts. This is especially helpful when working with students who have a large variety of concepts they need to learn. Typically this is my severely autistic population who generally do not pick up on basic concepts through exposure in their environment. The procedure of matching can be used to match identical pictures, matching pictures to objects, or (for higher students) for matching words to the picture. The receptive and expressive identification is used on whichever concept I am targeting (object vocabulary, picture vocabulary, word vocabulary, etc).

Typically during a one-on-one session with a student I will start with quizzing them on previously introduced topics. It is this quiz data that I use to determine their level of mastery. Then, I reteach any missed items using the procedures in this handout FREEBIE.

I hope that my readers find this handout to be helpful. Once I learned these strategies it greatly changed the way I introduce and review material with my neediest students. I think it has made an incredible difference in their ability to retain information. Additionally, it has provided a much needed structure to my vocabulary and sight word curriculum that I did not have previously because I do not follow a specific program.

Enjoy!! :)

1 comment:

asad safiq said...

Thanks for this post.Very important and timely article. Information provided is concise and informative. Keep up the great work!
data communication concepts