Another reason these tacos are awesome is because they are lighter and more refreshing than their ground beef counterpart. I have been making them for years and everyone who tries them always wants the recipe.
Here are some tips that I have learned:
1. I prefer using soft tortillas over corn shells.
2. Use fresh salsa or pico de gallo from the deli instead of jarred salsa...huge difference!
3. Look for big bushels of cilantro in the produce area instead of the little packages near the other fresh spices. The bushels are cheaper for tons more!
Here are some tips specifically about Chilis in Adobo:
1. Chilis in Adobo are hard to find. They are usually in the international aisle by the authentic canned mexican salsa.
2. Chilis in Adobo are HOT! Use sparingly especially since you are adding chili powder unless you really like spicy food. Once my boyfriend didn't read the recipe and put in the whole can. I couldn't even eat the tacos! If you don't like spicy food just skip the chilis.
3. Chilis in Adobo can be pricey. Remember my trick about freezing pesto in ice cube trays? This is perfect for the chilis as well.
Slow-Cooker Chili Chicken Tacos