Sign up for SpEd Spot tips, tricks, and FREEBIES straight to your inbox!

    Monday, January 28, 2013

    Polar Animals

    We had a hard time this week finding a cute, predictable story to use for our polar animals theme. It was my first time doing this theme so I did not have my usual bag of tricks! We ended up using a Scholastic mini-book called, Are You Cold?, with lots of new polar animal names that my kiddos surprisingly didn't know. The walrus was called an ostrich more than once! Like I said it was our first time covering polar animals!

    The best part was the last page of the book had a slot that I could slip their pictures in to make them a part of the story. They LOVED this surprise ending!

    This week there was definitely no shortage of ADORABLE polar animal crafts! There were so many that all of my teammates chose something different. My two favorites were this too cute walrus craft made from painted paper plates, yarn, and plastic knives.


    Then, my students made this great ink blot penguin painting. Didn't they turn out so cute?!


    To give a visual for the kids so they knew where to paint we used this example outline and provided an outline with marker matching the color paint they needed to use. Visual guides in art is SO important for my kiddos because most of them rely much more on their visual skills than their auditory (listening) skills. 


    Finally, we filled empty glue bottles with tempra paint in order for the students to get a fine line to trace the outline provided. 



    This was definitely one of my favorite projects! I love how each student's penguin turned out unique just like them!



    We also made yummy polar bear bagel treats with our leftover bagels and cream cheese from last week's cooking activity and GIANT marshmallows! The kids were so excited about the marshmallows but they all enjoyed the bagels more :)



    For more wintertime Thematic Group Activities, grab my Snow & Winter Unit on Teacher Pay Teacher!





    1 comment:

    Mrs. Wheeler said...

    Hey Allison!!! Great ideas! I love the idea of filling the glue bottles with paint. The animals turned out soo cute! Hope you are well!

    Megan